fbpx

S1914coverphoto

Hey guys,

So I was organizing my little space the other day and came across this sweet little vintage Simplicity pattern, I don’t even know how long I’ve had it because I can’t even remember where I got it from. It’s a really old pattern, according to the envelope it was printed in 1945 and costed only 20cents at that time.

S1914_2S1914_1

Anywho, I cataloged it in a spot reserved just for the delicate patterns and continued my cleaning/organizing. As I was going through my fabrics I came across a piece of fabric that had such a cute print with a whimsical feel and vintage look to it, that I thought to myself….hmm…that pattern and this fabric would go so well together! And well…the rest is history! (haha)  I sewed up View 3 with some modifications …(you’ll read about those in my review below) and off we went to the park to snap some pictures.

simplicity1914_9

simplicity1914_8

simplicity1914_3

simplicity1914_6

simplicity1914_1

simplicity1914_4

My pattern review:

Pattern DescriptionSimplicity (Primer) 1914

Pattern Sizing: The pattern was a Size 3 – Apparently older patterns were printed one size per envelope back in the day  – unlike today where you get multiple sizes in one envelope. I knew it was going to be a little big for Abigail, so instead of using a 5/8 seam allowance I used a 1inch seam allowance.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing it?  Ummm….somewhat…haha! I didn’t add any trim on the bodice or any sleeves so it looks somewhat different from the envelope. Maybe I should call this a “hack” instead of a “review” huh? lol

Were the instructions easy to follow?  Yes.

What did you particularly like about the pattern?  The little darts on the back bodice. They are so cute!

simplicity1914_10

What did you dislike about the pattern? I think the only sad thing about this pattern is that I only have one size in my envelope. lol

Fabric Used: Dress: Quilting Cotton

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: I made several.

  • I lined the bodice (of course I did! lol – the front is fully lined and the back has facings)
  • Eliminated the button closures and used an invisible zipper instead
  • Did not add trim on the bodice, a tie waist band or pockets. ( I would have added pockets but I ran out of fabric! – the horror!)
  • Added lace trim at the hem of the dress.

Alrighty! That’s it for today guys! I just noticed that my last few posts have been all about pattern reviews, so I think I’ll shake it up a bit in my next post! Until then, have a wonderful and SAFE weekend!! xoxox

love-candice

simplicity1914_7

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *